[Sigia-l] Faceted Classification

Anne Hjortshoj anne at optical.mindstorm.com
Thu Jul 11 11:27:12 EDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Christopher Fahey [askrom] wrote:

> It has always seemed to me that "faceted classification" is just a fancy
> way of saying "put your content into a database and use lots of metadata
> fields".

Maybe the new and exciting thing here is that faceted classification is
being exposed to the user via navigation design. Instead of relying on a
single navigation path or hierarchy, users create their own path to
content by choosing categories that makes sense to them.

It's essentially a search interface that has been translated into a
flexible navigational hierarchy.

-Anne