[Sigia-l] Re: Help! New job ... terrible knowledge management

Deborah Barber dab212 at nyu.edu
Wed Jul 3 20:38:27 EDT 2002

My most recent job has presented some very similar challenges (why *is*
Access so popular?). I'm currently working as a Records Manager for a
non-profit that has formerly only dealt with a few hundred client files at a
time and is now looking after thousands. And when I say "files" I mean paper
files.

Two things that have helped me gain credibility are: Solving small problems
first, like simple changes in the database interface that result in less
errors. Also, my library experience has been taken seriously here.
(Paraprofessional, not MLIS) I've been able to set some standards modeled on
library practices and my superiors approve them because they know and
respect libraries.

It's taken a long time to get to this point, and there is still a ways to
go. If no one knows what usability is, you have to be the teacher. I have
yet to work in a place where not one person is interested in the subject,
sometimes they are just hard to find.

-Deborah

On 7/3/02 11:34 AM, Anne Hjortshoj at anne at optical.mindstorm.com wrote:

> I sympathize with you. It's not easy watching a project veer off in a
> direction that you know to be bad.
>
> However:
>
>> After a year of seeking employment as an IA, I finally did a bit of a
>> career switch, and have been hired as a researcher/analyst at a
>> government contractor.
>
> So... your role is not that of an IA.

<trimmed for length>