[Sigia-l] Texts in e-book (Microsoft/Adobe Reader) format

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Wed Dec 11 20:13:43 EST 2002

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Janna Hicks DeVylder

[...]
> I was in a school last week where all students had laptops. They had
> online access in every classroom. Tables replaced desks. Network
> cables, power cords, laptop bags were carried around rather than the
> trapper keeper and brown paper-wrapped books of my day. Online books
> were being utilized, but even in this situation, textbooks were
> still a reality. This school is certainly not the norm, but it
> certainly is a trend that I don't believe will go away anytime
> soon. It was the most eye-opening experience I've had in a long
> time.

In the case that I am aware of, students were each given their own
laptops. The idea was that, instead of carrying tons of paper books to
and from schools, students simply carried a laptop - the electronic
school bag. At school, those laptops were linked together using a
wireless network. But students realized that there were things that
they simply could not do with a laptop but were very natural on a
paper text.  Thus, they ended up using both the e-book and paper text
at the same time both at school and at home.

Boniface