[Sigia-l] Search engine marketing

Noreen Whysel noreenwhysel at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 5 13:37:31 EST 2002

I used to do search engine position consulting, but stopped because I found
that focussing on good content organization/IA and promotion within relevant
communities, like link exchanges, email marketing lists, or joining a
networking group or discussion list and having your URL in your email sig
was more effective site promotion for my small clients.  And yes, pay for a
listing in Yellow pages and other relevant directories.

Search engines only have a certain amount of relevance for particular
businesses, especially local ones.  If you are delivering home-prepared Thai
meals in Westchester County, NY, a top listing on Google for "Thai food"
isn't incredibly relevant.  But if you are listed in a local, online guide,
much the better.

I reveiwed WebPosition (again this was a few years back) and it looked like
a good product for companies with larger sites, and larger target markets.
I'm sure it offers a lot more now than it did then.  I also was a fan of the
Search Engine Watch site.  I once interviewed at a company that had
consultants focus on a single client and list of terms, but their business
model died (it was similar to a CPM model in advertising), as I had
predicted.  There was too much to keep track of, too much change in various
search algorithms and the engines were penalizing some of the tricks
consultants were using anyway (not that this groups was all that big on
sharing among the consultants).  Needless to say, I declined the offer.

I haven't gotten a lot of requests for search engine optimization services
lately, except for how to make searches more relevant within a website (the
search this site function).

Noreen