[Sigia-l] Multiple languages on a single web page

Chiara Fox chiarafox at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 14:00:40 EDT 2002

Hello everyone-

I'm currently working on a project that involves 16
different country sites, in 16 local languages, and
they all have to interact with each other and share
content. Some content will be translated into the 15
languages, some content will only be available in 6
languages, and some content only in English.
Basically, the most important, top level content is
going to be in the appropriate language and the deeper
into the site you go, the more likely you are going to
get English content.

My question to the group is, do you have any
suggestions on how to make the transition between the
languages as smooth as possible? We'd like to have the
global nav stay in the native language, but not all
the pages that "hang off" the global nav will
be in the local language. Is it a truly horrible UE to
have a link in one language that leads you to a page
in a different language?

We are going to test this in country, but I'd like to
get the design as good as we can before we put it in
front of users.

Thanks!

-Chiara

=====