[Sigia-l] IA and Traditional Software

George Olsen george.olsen at pobox.com
Fri Aug 2 16:58:34 EDT 2002

Madhu Menon said:
> Wouldn't this come under the "user interface" department, George? There
> are  user interface principles that talk about "grouping" interface
> options and  the like. Ditto with "labelling".

Well that's where there's overlap between professions and names are for
tombstones, baby.
<http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/002362.php?page=2> Although
typically I've seen UI literature focus more on the display of items (i.e.
clustering similar functions) than on the naming or the underlying
categorization.

That said, I do think our librarian friends have given more thought to
some of these issues, particularly categorization, than traditional UI
folks have. Same thing reason that writers can be more effective at naming
than UI designers.

George Olsen                           george at interactionbydesign.com
User Experience Architect                                310-993-0467