[Sigia-l] Who here is paying for content?

Thomas Vander Wal thomas at vanderwal.net
Fri Aug 2 07:31:44 EDT 2002

> I am interested in your actual experience with paying for content

I pay for WSJ and have for years, which has ruined the paper version for me
as I can not find what I am looking for in the pages.  The ability to search
the WSJ and Dow Jones Newswire is very helpful and the ability to see the
European version and extra stories is very helpful.  The electronic version
is less expensive than the paper subscription, which is how is started down
this path.

I also subscribe to paper edition of the Economist, which provides access to
their electronic version also.  The electronic version adds the ability to
search for older articles and also provides content that is not available in
the US print version.

I have bought a couple HBR articles.  This can be a less expensive means to
get the one article I am interested in.

Conversely I don't buy archived articles from the NY Times or the Washington
Post as the pricing is out of whack in my perception.  Paying anything above
the price of the one periodical for one article (25 cents for the paper and
$2 for one article) does not make much sense to me, even if I really have an
interest in that article.

ATB,
Thomas