[Sigia-l] seeking rules

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 18:00:10 EDT 2002

"Heller, David" wrote:

> I create apps that do generate tons of results based on user queries. This is
> considered by our users a FEATURE! 1,000's of results is preferred, but we
> can't display them all w/o chunking them first otherwise it will take minutes
> to receive.

I think we're talking about different things here. You have a 'page' that
includes a search facility that returns results. You're saying that the
result set may be very large. I'm not questioning that. You obviously show
chunks (just like Google does) *in the same 'page'* if, for example, you
used frames, Flash, QuickTime or the app wasn't in HTTP/HTML. You designate
a *fixed* are for the display of the result set. The contents of that area
could be anything, depending on how you coded the page. You do *not* need to
branch out into *separate* pages -- my point.

> Many of the examples you give IMHO have better interfaces that do chunk it out
> to pages. I much prefer Moviefone's interface to Yahoo Movies, WHY? b/c I'm
> not stuck waiting for the 18th movie theatre when oddss are I want the one
> closest to my Zip code anyway.

If you used the marvelously simple Watson 'one page' interface none of this
would be a problem :-)

> I have NEVER seen an absolute rule in the Web. To hold to one is to be closed
> to the possibility of innovation.

I'm jesting.

Best,