[Sigia-l] The fuzzy line btwn IA and Design

Locatelli at aol.com Locatelli at aol.com
Fri Apr 26 11:42:44 EDT 2002

In a message dated 4/26/02 11:00:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
thomasdonehower at hotmail.com writes:

> So here's the Big Question: What does it mean for a design to be true to the
>
> IA? What do you do to help ensure that the IA vision is reflected in the
> final design?

I'd say it's when all the IA elements are on the designed page in similar
positions (don't think anyone will argue the difference between side and top
global nav, but better not put it at the bottom of the page) and the items
retain their relative importance, e.g., if the IA shows global nav getting
15% of screen real estate, it's probably not reflecting that vision if the
final design has it occupying 45%. The final design should also maintain
relative hierarchies, e.g., page title larger than section heading.

Fred Leise
Information Architect/Taxonomy Designer/Indexer
<A HREF="http://www.contextualanalysis.com/">www.ContextualAnalysis.com</A>
773-561-1993