[Sigia-l] The fuzzy line btwn IA and Design

Thomas Donehower thomasdonehower at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 26 10:58:58 EDT 2002

Let me share something with you that I think we all might have experienced
at one time or another. This may be especially helpful for PeterV as it
seems he's interested in tackling real world IA problems for his book (Can't
wait!). One of the biggest problems I constantly come up against is not in
the development of IA, but in the execution of it by Design.

I learned long ago not to make my wire frames too visual, even though they
looked sexier. Visually designed wire frames will cause nothing but trouble
when Design tries to interpret them. They will either feel as if you're
trespassing on their territory or they will be paralyzed and not know how to
proceed.

Yesterday I was in a meeting where we were preparing for a pitch. I started
by explaining the initial IA (what they were looking at was wireframes taped
to the wall) and then we reviewed individual design comps that were supposed
to be based upon the IA. The question that came up constantly was "Is the
design true to the IA?" Comments like "The IA has the primary nav along the
left-hand side. The design has it running across the top. Both seem to make
sense." were being asked.  I generally let the designers be fairly liberal
with their interpretation of wire frames and stay focused on asking
quesitons like "Is the priority of the information still consistent w/
what's shown in the wireframe."

So here's the Big Question: What does it mean for a design to be true to the
IA? What do you do to help ensure that the IA vision is reflected in the
final design?

-Tom

Thomas Donehower
Sr. Information Architect

EURO RSCG NETHOD CIRCLE
200 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10016
Direct:  212-251-7272
Main:    212-251-8800
Fax:      212-251-8819
Mobile: 917-941-1966
e:      thomas.donehower at nethod-euro.com

P.S. still unable to send to list from work email listed above!!!