[Sigia-l] Standardized classification

Locatelli at aol.com Locatelli at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 14:52:56 EDT 2002

In a message dated 4/22/02 2:33:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ktruong at covisint.com writes:

> I was just wondering what are the best ways of accommodating users who have
> different schemas the information being presented?

> In addition, is there great need for standardized classification?  When
> are they valuable?  When are they not?
>
> Kristen Truong

Don't overlook the power of site indexes to lead users from their own
vocabulary to that used by the site. Cross-references of the form "X. See Y"
allow entry points that employ users' vocabulary (check your search logs for
that), but bring the user directly to the information they need. The form of
the see reference instructs users as to the terminology the site uses, so
they shouldn't be surprised when they find the are on a page with a different
title or within a different section than the one they were originally looking
for.

Classifications essentially serve two main function: collocation (bringing
like things together) and differentiation (keeping apart things that are not
exactly alike). But classifications, also serve multiple objectives: (1)
finding entities that correspond to the user's stated search criteria, (2)
identifying an entity (i.e., that this is the thing being sought), (3)
selecting an entity appropriate to the user's needs and (4) acquiring access
to the entity described.

The exact nature of the classification will change depending on which of the
objectives is most important in the context of the specific system being
designed.

Standardized classifications can be helpful in allowing the user to develop a
mental model of the content. Clearly classifications become important the
large the amount of information on the site and the more similar objects that
are that need to be distinguished for the user. Classifications aren't easy
to create or maintain, so the cost and effort involved need to be taken into
account when considering the use of a classification. I should point out that
all sites use a classification that is exposed in the navigation system.
Someone has decided that like pages go together and has grouped then under
the big buckets of the site. And that's a classification. It may not be
completely exposed to the user or necessarily well though out, but the
classification does exist.

If you're interested in more information about the theoretical background of
classification, you might read Elaine Svenonius's "The intellectual
Foundation of Information Organization."

Fred Leise
Information Architect/Taxonomy Designer/Indexer
<A HREF="http://www.contextualanalysis.com/">www.ContextualAnalysis.com</A>
773-561-1993