[Sigia-l] more on mixing apples, oranges, tomatoes, Cleveland , Kansas City... (was IA practice maturation)

zapolsja at WellsFargo.COM zapolsja at WellsFargo.COM
Wed Apr 17 16:50:53 EDT 2002

The good Peter wrote:

> Actually, as a resident of the Midwest, I can comfortably say...

Okay, that makes two of you.  After Lou's last post, I emailed him off list
to hear more about when Ann Arbor started being in the Midwest.  Having
grown up in Michigan, I always lumped it into a geographic category with
other Great Lakes states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, not quite Northeast
(Boston) but not Midwest (Omaha), either.  Afterall, Detroit is closer to
Buffalo than it is even to Chicago.   I'm sure that to many folks on the
list, the Midwest is anything between Philadelphia and Las Vegas, but to me
your locating Michigan in the Midwest is another interesting example of how
categories of place can differ even within a relatively similar user group.
Or maybe I'm just weird....   Lou claims he's never heard otherwise.  Does
everyone else think that Michigan is in the Midwest?

-john zapolski

p.s.  Speaking of geography, and since the chicken is our new mascot
(http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/SummitAlbums/Chicken/index.htm), I
propose that the Official Headquarters of Information Architecture is
located in Delaware, a state that has more chickens than people.