[Sigia-l] Conceptual models (again): metaphors or categories?

PeterV peter at poorbuthappy.com
Tue Apr 16 17:17:44 EDT 2002

Hi all,
trying to understand better how conceptual and mental models are used. I
found Don Norman's description quite useful:
http://www.acm.org/archives/wa.cgi?A2=ind0008A&L=chi-web&D=0&P=9325

I also had a look at Adaptivepath's deliverables, where the mental model
they describe is about how the user organizes or *categorizes* the tasks.
http://www.adaptivepath.com/presentations/complete/

Does anyone have examples or stories about how they describe/use mental
models of users when building websites? The Adaptivepath approach (as
described in their deliverables) focusses on grouping tasks, finding
*categories* that users use. I'm wondering about much of the Xerox parc
work, where it's more about *metaphors* users use, like here
http://hci.stanford.edu/bds/2-liddle.html

So how do metaphors and categories fit in together in this whole mental
model thing? I can think of examples (almost any website I've done) where
finding categories that users use makes sense, but metaphors is another
story... Any reading material / ideas?
PeterV
http://petervandijck.net