[Sigia-l] URL design - mixing apples and oranges and tomatoes FORK: Session Cookies, etc

Joe 10 Enterprises joe at joe10.com
Sun Apr 14 14:04:23 EDT 2002

There's a pretty good article (with regard to readable URLs, not
session variables) on phpbuilder from some time ago:

http://phpbuilder.com/columns/tim19990117.php3

RE session SID storage, the cookie/no cookie thing can be somewhat
overcome by the write-it/read-it back/ if not there pop it onto the
URL routine with varying degrees of success and overhead.

Session Variables and their management is a big topic anyway, as a)
they're not entirely secure when appended to the URL and b) flaky
when used with cookies.

I think the accepted standard is becoming that if you are going so
far as to use sessions, then you kind of have the right to say "Hey,
you have to have cookies enabled to proceed"

/Joe

--
Joe Tennis
Information Design Honcho
joe at joe10.com
http://www.joe10.com
Usability Consulting | Information Architecture | Interface Design
for Web, Wireless and Interactive Media
                      OUTDOORSITES.COM
          it's live! -> http://www.outdoorsites.com