[Sigia-l] perceptually based web browser

Stuart Church stuart.church at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 13 12:24:35 EDT 2002

Thought this might be of interest to SIGIA-L people.......

>  --- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>
> The Palo Alto Research Center is pleased to announce the release of Popout
> Prism, an experimental Web browser based on principles from human vision
> research into visual attention.  Popout Prism currently runs on Microsoft
> Windows platforms, and is available under a free 90 day trial license
> at:  http://www.alphaave.com/details.php?tech=Popout%20Prism
>
> Popout Prism makes critical information "pop out" from Web pages and
allows
> navigation through a Web page via an enhanced thumbnail overview.  When
> users enter keywords, Popout Prism enhances the display of those keywords
> throughout the current Web page as well as in a thumbnail overview of the
> entire document.  The enhancements are designed to attract the user's
> attention and smoothly guide the user in navigating the page.
>
> We would be delighted to receive feedback on this software from the human
> vision community.
>
> For more information about Popout Prism, please see
> http://www.parc.com/popoutprism.

I wouldn't exactly say that it revolutionizes the browsing experience.
However, it does seem to add some nice functionality for searching and
gaining a sense of context, particularly on larger web pages.

Cheers,
Stuart

Dr Stuart Church
Ecology of Vision Research Group