[Sigia-l] The new face of web info

Victor Lombardi victorlombardi at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 22:13:36 EDT 2002

I agree it's a Big Deal for IAs. I wrote an article about it's implications
for designers. It's a high-level discussion exposing some of the issues I
think we'll face...

designing for web services
http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2452/new1015627350101/index.html

At 4/10/2002 -0700 05:03 PM, alex wright wrote:
>Ziya pointed out two great examples of browser-less Internet
>applications (note I didn't say "Web" applications), the likes of which
>I expect we'll be seeing much more in the months ahead.
>
>With the advent of new development environments (like Bowstreet,
>Kenamea, Sun's Jax, and IBM's Sash), coupled with simplified protocols
>like SOAP and XML-RPC, we may be on the verge of a major shift away from
>traditional client-server Web development - what I like to call the
>Monolithic Era of Web Design - to a far more fluid environment of
>distributed networked services.
>
>For IAs, this amounts to a Big Deal because over time we will see the
>decline of the centralized Web site or application, and the rise of
>networked ecosystems, where specialized applications stitch together
>networked services using simple descriptive tags (rather than requiring
>custom programming hooks from a central app server).  More importantly,
>Web services will open the door to all kinds of special-purpose
>lightweight applications suited to particular kinds of user interaction,
>gradually loosening the hegemony of the Web browser.

Victor Lombardi
http://www.noisebetweenstations.com/