[Sigia-l] Re: SIGIA-L: Most abusive user experience?

lee.r.sachs at verizon.com lee.r.sachs at verizon.com
Mon Apr 8 16:31:43 EDT 2002

I've got one that is often cited as an e-business best practice that even I
have recommended to clients.  It's the automated email response.  In some
cases, it's worthwhile to let people know you are going to respond within X
hours or supply some other information, but this is the digital equivalent
of hold music on a VRU.

Why do I need my inbox cluttered with auto-generated email that doesn't
answer my inquiry in any meaningful way.  How would a customer feel, if
every time they snail mailed a letter or a complaint to a company, the
company initially wrote back a form letter that stated they're 'really
going to answer my letter the right way, but in the meantime here's another
piece of paper that just says we got your letter but no human being has
even looked at it.  I mean I don't want to get on a rant here, but, this is
yet another example of people in the service of technology.

-lee