[Sighlth-l] SIG HLTH Newsletter - Celebrating a New Semester

Si Sun sisun at rutgers.edu
Sun Feb 15 23:34:40 EST 2015

*CELEBRATING A NEW SEMESTER*

*ASIS&T SIG/HLTH Newsletters*

*February, 2015*

*ANNOUNCEMENTS*

- What would you like for our 2015 webinars?

- Join us to work with local and student chapters

- Sign up for SIG HLTH listserv

*NEWS*

- Collaborating With ASIS&T Rutgers University Student Chapter and New
Jersey Chapter

*MEMBER SPOTLIGHT*

- Ms. Laura M. Eisenmann (Director of Knowledge Management, Health
Advances, LLC)

- Ms. Diana Ascher (Doctoral Student at the University of California, Los
Angeles)

*Q&A*

- Call for participation
------------------------------

*ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE FOR OUR 2015 WEBINARS?*

We are planning a few webinars for the coming year, starting from February,
2015. The themes we planned are as follows:

1. *Conversation between areas*: Communicate patient work with clinical
care.
2. *Methodology*: qualitative research and quantitative research methods in
health informatics.

We are looking for speakers and ideas on other topics of interest (we have
enough funds for at least three webinars). Please fill out the following
short survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LGCVZQD) to share your ideas
and insights.

*JOIN US TO WORK WITH LOCAL AND STUDENT CHAPTERS*

We are looking for volunteers to initiate communication with local and
student chapters in our effort to enhance academic exchange and encourage
future collaborations. These activities can reach two audiences and could
be a great opportunity for us to strengthen personal connections with
members of local ASIS&T organizations.

*We encourage volunteers to:*

- Contact the leadership of local chapters and student chapters

- Participate in and/or co-organize chapter activities (e.g. local
face-to-face discussion groups) with a health-related theme

- Send us any materials collected during these activities (e.g. minutes,
photos, video, etc.)

- Contact Si Sun at sisun at rutgers.edu with any questions

Our members in the New Jersey area are planning activities with the Rutgers
University Student Chapter and New Jersey Chapter. Please join us in this
mutual growth with local ASIS&T organizations. We look forward to an active
new year together.

*SIGN UP FOR SIG HLTH LISTSERV*

We noticed a major problem with communication with our members is the lack
of automated sign-in for our listserv. We have added all members to our
listserv and you will be receiving our newsletters from now on. Please
email Si Sun at sisun at rutgers.edu if you would like to sign up with a
different email address.

------------------------------

*NEWS*

*COLLABORATING WITH ASIS&T RUTGERS UNIVERSITY STUDENT CHAPTER AND NEW
JERSEY CHAPTER*

SIG HLTH members Si Sun and Miraida Morales are collaborating with the
Rutgers University Student Chapter President Vanessa Kitzie and the New
Jersey Chapter leadership to organize student research panels at Rutgers
University. Students of all levels in the area with a research interest
related to medical or health informatics will come together to share their
experiences and resources. This panel is taking place in the Spring
semester of 2015 at Rutgers University.

------------------------------

*MEMBER SPOTLIGHT*

*Laura M. Eisenmann*

Director of Knowledge Management, Health Advances, LLC

*Laura M. Eisenmann* has extensive experience in global professional
services firms delivering knowledge management solutions, developing
digital knowledge products and databases, and organizing information for
findability and reuse, including content architecture, taxonomy
development, metadata management, search, and usability.

She currently leads the Knowledge Management function at Health Advances,
LLC <http://healthadvances.com/>, a strategy consulting firm advising
healthcare and life science organizations on global business strategy and
technology commercialization. She guides and builds knowledge management as
a strategic asset of the firm, including developing and advancing leading
edge processes and tools to identify, capture, organize, analyze, and
disseminate both internal and external information for use by consulting
teams.

Laura is also an Associate at Columbia University, co-facilitating a class
on Findability and Innovation in the Master’s Program in Information and
Knowledge Strategy.

Prior to joining Health Advances, Laura spent 15 years at the Ernst & Young
Center for Business Knowledge, where she was responsible for architecture
management for global enterprise knowledge applications, navigation, and
findability. She directed the development of platforms and products that
implemented the knowledge architecture, including navigation, search, user
experience, taxonomy and classification, cataloging, and content
architecture. She also led a global, cross-functional reference data change
management team that coordinated reference data updates in EY’s global
systems. Earlier, Laura spent eight years at Bain & Company as manager of
the Experience Center, Bain’s corporate proprietary information center.

Laura holds an MS from the Simmons College Graduate School of Library and
Information Science and a SB in Music and Math from the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology.
------------------------------

*Diana Ascher*

Doctoral Student

*Diana L. Ascher* is a doctoral student in the Department of Information
Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Her lifelong interest
in decision making has focused on the evaluation, classification,
organization, and communication of information in a variety of fields:
behavioral science, higher education, journalism, finance, law, leadership,
management, medicine, and policy. She brings more than two decades of
experience as a writer, editor, and media director to her work.

Ms. Ascher's current research projects include:

- the influence of cultural time orientation on information practice
(dissertation research)
- hypervigilant information-seeking behavior
- cognitive reflection and information seeking
- the economics of information
- algorithm cognizance and opinion formation
- conceptions of privacy, power, and freedom in contemporary American life

Straddling academia and government, Ms. Ascher serves as director of
information of the Behavioral Science & Policy Association, working with
many of the world's leading behavioral scientists to share findings in ways
that are relevant and useful for policy makers.

In the corporate world, Ms. Ascher served as a writer, editor, and
multimedia producer for companies such as Bloomberg and American Funds. In
academia, she was the manager of distance learning at the Fuqua School of
Business at Duke University and has consulted with several universities on
marketing strategy.

And in the entertainment realm, Ms. Ascher gained experience as a writer
and producer working with Roger Corman's Concorde New Horizons, Paramount
Television, and independent filmmakers.

Early in her career as a journalist, Ms. Ascher wrote for the Durham
Herald-Sun and the Charlotte News & Observer. She has written and edited in
the areas of business, finance, retirement, environmental policy, health,
medicine, technology, film, literature, politics, parenting, and more.

Ms. Ascher earned her M.B.A. from the Peter F. Drucker Graduate School of
Management at Claremont Graduate University and her B.A. in Public Policy
from Duke University as a recipient of the Benjamin N. Duke Leadership
Scholarship.

http://dianaascher.com/

*Please contact us to be featured next!*

*(Contact information is available at the end of this email)*
------------------------------
*Q&A*

The Q&A section is dedicated research-related question answering. If you
have any questions, please send it to us and we will post it immediately on
our social media and also in the next issue of SIG/HLTH newsletter. When an
answer is available, you will either receive a relayed email from us, or an
email directly from the generous answerer.

If you would like to answer a question or provide resources, please contact
us or the question provider (if applicable). We will update our social
media and newsletter accordingly.

Please help us with the following question:

*Q from Si Sun @Rutgers University:*

When conducting interview studies, how do we balance between building
rapport and maintaining objectivity? Building rapport often means to show
interest and appreciation in the participants' contributions, which can be
important for participants to feel comfortable sharing their perspectives.
However, this risks encouraging participants to emphasize certain issues
and ignoring some others. How can we balance between these two aspects and
establish good relationship with participants while assuring the
objectivity of the data collected?

*Please send us your questions and help others with your ideas!*

*(Contact information is available at the end of this email)*

------------------------------

*CONTACTS*

Si Sun, Chair

sisun at rutgers.edu

Emily Vardell, Chair-Elect/Secretary, New Leader Awardee (2014-2015)

evardell at email.unc.edu

Deborah H. Charbonneau, Secretary

dcharbon at wayne.edu

Miraida Morales, Communications

miraida.morales at rutgers.edu

Nancy K. Roderer, SIG HLTH Advisor

nrodere1 at jhmi.edu

Deborah E. Swain, SIG HLTH Advisor

dswain at nccu.edu

ASIS&T SIG HLTH

[image: SIG HLTH Facebook Page][image: SIG HLTH Facebook Group][image: SIG
HLTH Twitter] <https://twitter.com/#!/sighlth>

Page Group Twitter