[Sighlth-l] SIG HLTH Newsletter

Si Sun sisun at rutgers.edu
Thu Sep 4 00:32:57 EDT 2014

*Welcome to ASIS&T SIG/HLTH Monthly Newsletters!*

We are proud to announce the first issue of our monthly newsletters. The
purposes of these newsletters are to enhance communication between our SIG
members and to keep everyone informed of our upcoming events. Our
newsletter currently include the following content:

*Announcements*:We will announce upcoming events in this section.

*Member spotlight*: Every month, we will introduce a few members to the SIG
HLTH community. The purpose of introducing our community members is to
support community building, facilitate collaboration and encourage resource
sharing. We will try to include both experienced members and student
members in each issue. The member spotlight will be also be updated on our
website (http://sighlth.wordpress.com/
<http://preview.cmail2.com/t/t-i-jrilktl-l-r/>). Please let us know if you
would like to be featured in the upcoming issues or you have a
recommendation.

*Q&A*: As researchers, we are always driven by questions. The SIG/HLTH
community has diversified resources for seeking answers and sparkling
ideas. Let us share our resources here to benefit the whole community.
(Example Q&A provided at the end of this newsletter.)
------------------------------

*Announcements*

*BROCHURE DESIGN COMPETITION*

SIG HLTH will be distributing letter sized one page brochures/posters at
health informatics related sessions at ASIS&T 2014. The purposes of these
brochures are to promote attendance at health informatics related sessions
and enhance member recruitment. These brochures will be designed by SIG
HLTH members and selected through public voting. Please contribute your
design talent!

*Prize*: $50 for first place, $20 for second place, $10 for third place.

*Requirements*: (a) include our SIG logo at the beginning of this email;
(b) include information about our SIG, such as the introduction on our
ASIS&T website https://www.asis.org/SIG/hlth.html(c) include information on
our events during ASIS&T, such as the activities listed here
http://sighlth.wordpress.com/

*Submission deadline*: September 30, 2014

*Voting deadline*: October 15, 2014

*NEED YOUR INPUT: TIME FOR SIG HLTH DINNER ON MONDAY, NOV 3*
<http://preview.cmail2.com/t/t-i-jrilktl-l-y/>

We are having a SIG HLTH member dinner on Monday, Nov 3. Please indicate
what time you would be available to come. Here is the link to the Doodle
poll:http://doodle.com/bbb3f9gnbm2242xm#table
<http://preview.cmail2.com/t/t-i-jrilktl-l-j/> The dutch treat dinner will
be at a local restaurant with diverse options. We are looking for a good
restaurant, and if you have any recommendations, please let us know. This
is a great opportunity for us to get to know each other and make some great
connections. Please join us!

*SIG HLTH 2014 ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING*
<http://preview.cmail2.com/t/t-i-jrilktl-l-t/>

The SIG HLTH business meeting is scheduled on Tuesday, November 4th from
2:00pm – 3:00pm. Information regarding the location is forthcoming. During
the meeting, we will brain storm potential new activities such as
workshops, competitions, panels, and networking events. We will also
appoint new officers at the meeting as necessary, depending on the workload
sketched out. We look forward to seeing you there!
------------------------------

*Member Spotlight*

*Professor Nancy K. Roderer*

*MLS, AHIP, ACMI, FMLA*

*Professor. Nancy. Roderer* is a Professor Emerita of Medicine at Johns
Hopkins University, having retired in 2013 from the positions of  Director
of the Welch Medical Library and the Director of the academic Division of
Health Sciences Informatics (DHSI). She has pursued her interests in
understanding and facilitating information use and in integrated
information management through both operational and research activities at
Columbia, Yale and Johns Hopkins Universities. She teaches in the areas of
library and information science and health sciences informatics, and is was
a co-founder of  John's Hopkins'  post-doctoral training program in
informatics. Her recent research efforts have addressed  issues related to
providing human support to users interacting with digital libraries, and
her most recent publication can be found at
 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25031562
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25031562>. Nancy has been an active
member of ASIS&T since 1972, when she was appointed secretary of SIG/FIS
(Foundations of Information Science).

Nancy is a graduate of the University of Dayton (Mathematics and Computer
Science) and the University of Maryland (Library and Information Services
and Computer Science). She is a Distinguished Member of the Academy of
Health Information Professionals and a fellow of the American College of
Medical Informatics and of the Medical Library Association.  Since her
semi-retirement, she has intensified her study of information habits in
exotic locales. most recently Cambodia and Thailand.
------------------------------

*Dr. Deborah E. Swain*

*PhD*

*Dr. Deborah E. Swain, PhD*., is a tenured Associate Professor in the
School of Library and Information Sciences at North Carolina Central
University in Durham, North Carolina. She has over 20 years experience in
information development, knowledge engineering, organizational design, and
business and technical training. Her most recent research has been about
knowledge management in e-businesses and about clinicians applying health
informatics tools. Dr. Swain has managed information projects for
corporations such as IBM, AT&T, and Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs. Her
professional career includes working on human-computer interactions,
interface design, and human factors/ergonomic issues as a systems engineer,
program analyst, and project manager.

She has published articles and contributed chapters to books based on
research in knowledge management, social network analysis, collaboration,
health disparities, and clinical/health informatics. In addition to her
faculty position at NCCU, Dr. Swain has also taught at Wake Tech Community
College, UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State University, and Campbell University. She
completed her doctorate in Information Science at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill. She has a master’s degree from UNC-Chapel Hill and
a bachelor’s of arts degree from Duke University.

Dr. Swain has presented papers and workshops at conferences for the ASIS&T,
ICKM, STC, and IEEE on knowledge management, healthcare, use
cases, database design, computer interfaces, information
retrieval/indexing, online help design, expert systems, quality and process
auditing, business communications, and software engineering. She recently
completed research on social network analysis (SNA) mapping of healthcare
and emergency management for faith-based and community organizations,
businesses and educational facilities. She attends NCHICA meetings and is a
member of ASIS&T, SLA, NCALA, and ALA.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

dswain at nccu.edu (919-530-7502;919-833-9028)
*Please contact us to be featured next!*
------------------------------
*Q&A*

The Q&A section is dedicated research-related question answering. If you
have any questions, please send it to us and we will post it on our social
media and the next issue of SIG/HLTH newsletter. If you would like to
answer a question or provide resources, please contact us and we will
update our social media and newsletter accordingly.

An example question and answers are as follows:

*Q from Si:* Can you give me some suggestions on how to reach a vulnerable
population, such as children with type 1 diabetes? I have tried recruiting
online, but people do not trust me.

*A from Lucy:* You can perhaps visit local clinics and ask for help from
doctors there.

*A from Emily:* Try going to local anonymous support groups. It is perhaps
easier to build rapport face-to-face, and you can have a closer look of the
population of interest. It is best to contact the group coordinators first
to make sure that you have permission to attend the support groups. People
within the support group may be upset if someone attends who does not
identify as being part of that group. I think being up front will help
build that trust.

*A from Deborah*: Contact local chapters of the national Diabetes
Association for healthcare professionals and patients to network with and
invite to research study. National website is:  www.diabetes.org Also,
Public Libraries are so important today for patrons and community visitors
to make health queries, and librarians provide excellent references to web
sites, publications, and groups. I recommend requesting opportunity to post
information (online and on physical bulletin boards) and possibly to hold
an information session with local health care panel at public library.

*Please send us your questions and help others with your ideas!*

------------------------------

*Contacts*

Si Sun, Chair

sisun at rutgers.edu

Emily Vardell, Chair-Elect/Secretary, New Leader Awardee (2014-2015)

evardell at email.unc.edu

Nancy K. Roderer, SIG HLTH Advisor

nrodere1 at jhmi.edu

Deborah E. Swain, SIG HLTH Advisor

dswain at nccu.edu

ASIS&T SIG HLTH

[image: SIG HLTH Facebook Page][image: SIG HLTH Facebook Group][image: SIG
HLTH Twitter] <https://twitter.com/#!/sighlth>

Page Group Twitter