[Sigmed-l] SIG MED Name Change...

Andrews, James jandrews at cas.usf.edu
Thu Nov 5 07:43:07 EST 2009

Hi All,

I am looking forward to seeing everyone in Vancouver...

At last year's SIG MED Planning Meeting we agreed to change the name of
SIG MED to SIG Health. The prevailing idea was that this would suggest a
broader scope for the SIG, and thus encourage more members to become
active. For instance, those with interests, say, in health
communication, health-related information behaviors, health services
management, or other areas not falling with what might be considered
more "core" areas of medical informatics.

We can discuss writing a more cogent description (i.e. for the website
and promotional materials) at the planning meeting this year. However,
to make this change official it needs to be on the agenda for the SIG
Cabinet meeting this weekend. I am therefore querying the membership for
a vote or any feedback you'd like to provide. Please respond as soon as
possible.

Action: Change the name SIG Medical Informatics (SIG MED), to Health
Informatics (SIG Health):  __YES  __NO

Additional Comments:

James E. Andrews, Ph.D.

Interim Director, Associate Professor