[Sigmed-l] ASIST SIG-MED Panels

Leonard Davolio ldavolio at mii.ucla.edu
Tue Dec 19 14:23:52 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

I'm Len D'Avolio & I'm one of a new set of volunteers for SIG-MED that have
signed up to make SIG-MED a more valuable resource for IS professionals
interested in health-related issues.  One of the things we'd like to do to
improve the value of this group for one another is to coordinate some panels
to discuss topics of interest at this year's ASIST. With this year's theme
focused on the intersection between IS and practice, there are some great
opportunities. Some of the ideas currently being tossed around include a
joint panel on the potential effects of consumer-created health
vocabularies, health-related information seeking, and a doctoral student
paper competition.  All of these are just the seeds of ideas and we're
looking for ideas and suggestions from you. Many of these ideas can be
pursued in cooperation with other SIGs. If you have an idea for a panel, or
you'd like to contribute in any way, please let us know. We'll do whatever
we can to facilitate it.  Post ideas or comments to the list or, if you
prefer, email me or any of the SIG-MED board (the new board is listed
below).  The official ASIST call for participation can be found at:
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM07/am07cfp.html

On a related note, we'd like to turn the mailing list into a more valuable
source of current happenings in the field, including conferences, relevant
topics, job opportunities, grants, etc.  Many of us regularly receive
information posted in related fields that might be relevant to this group
(whether through lists from JESSE, AMIA, ALA, NIH, NLM, etc.).  If you find
something that you think might be helpful to this crowd, please help us keep
one another informed.

sigmed-l at asis.org

Finally, there are several newer members to ASIST that are working on
health-related issues that aren't aware of this SIG.  If you have colleagues
that would benefit from a community built around these issues, regardless of
their professional affiliations, memberships in other SIGS, etc., please
share the link below so they might join the mailing list.

To join, drop, modify a subscription, or to search the archives of
previously posted messages:

This year's recently named board is:

Steven L. MacCall, University of Alabama
President
smaccall at bama.ua.edu

Jim Andrews, University of Southern Florida
Chair-Elect
jandrews at cas.usf.edu

Ted Morris, Kent State University, Columbus
Secretary
tamorris at kent.edu

Jennifer Abrahamson, Oregon Health Sciences University
Treasurer
abrahamj at ohsu.edu

Leonard D'Avolio, UCLA
Communications
ldavolio at ucla.edu

Thanks and I look forward to working with you.

-----
Leonard D'Avolio
Ph.D. Candidate
NLM Medical Informatics Fellow