[Sigmed-l] FW: Terminology for injection sites?

Leonard Davolio ldavolio at mii.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 14 21:07:50 EST 2006

If anyone has been working with controlled medical vocabularies that might
be able to help out....
---------

This question is not specific to UMLS but I'm hoping someone on this list
may have advice on this naming issue. Our hospital people are having some
difficulty coming up with a uniform nomenclature for injection sites to use
in the new clinical information system that is being implemented. Is there
some standard set of terms that refers to defined anatomical landmarks like
muscles by name or some naming system for injection sites that is completely
clear for everyone? I have not found anything in procedure manuals,
textbooks, dictionaries, MeSH, CINAHL headings, etc etc that is complete and
detailed enough to satisfy all users. They are thinking of having an
anatomical diagram with the locations numbered within the system but still
need to have descriptors attached to each numbered location. Thanks in
advance for any insight -

Anna Gieschen MALS, Librarian, Reference Services
Wegner Health Science Information Center
1400 W 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57105
Anna.Gieschen at usd.edu
800-521-2987 605-357-1519