[Sighfis-l] 80th anniversary Special Panel opportunity

Ken Herold kherold at adelphi.edu
Fri Mar 10 15:54:50 EST 2017

Dear HFIS Colleague,

As you know, 2017 marks the 80th Anniversary of the Association for
Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T).  For this anniversary, we are
looking forward to the next 80 years, as well as reflecting on the
accomplishments and milestones of the past 80 years.  We are organizing a
special panel session (see link below) for the Annual Meeting in Crystal
City, Virginia, October 27-November 1st, 2017, as well as other activities.

As members of the 80th Anniversary Celebration Taskforce, we are working
with the SIGs and Chapters to encourage their active participation in
activities to celebrate these past accomplishments and plan for our future.
Among the activities being considered (some of which have already been
initiated): panels and programs for the 80th Annual Meeting, programs for
Chapter meetings (including between local and student Chapters), webinars
and other video presentations, and publications. We encourage collaboration
among SIGS and Chapters.  We members of SIG HFIS, along with SIG III have
offered our help in forming panels and other programs at the 80th Annual
Meeting, as well as with the production of papers and posters, webinars,
and other videos.

We ask that you promote our message and refer your colleagues to these
valuable resources.

Historical Documents:

https://www.asis.org/asist2012/ASIST2012_Chapters_SIGs_Histories.pdf

https://www.asis.org/asist2012/historyofASIST.html

Special panel submissions page:

https://www.softconf.com/asist2/80th/cgi-bin/scmd.cgi?scmd=basicSubmit

In addition, with the untimely passing of Dr. Bob Williams, we urge all
members to donate in his memory to the ASIST Bob Williams History Fund,
which was just renamed in his honor.  The link for contributions:

https://www.asist.org/asist-charitable-donation-form/

With thanks in advance for your participation,

*Toni Carbo, Ph.D.*

Professor *Emerita* and former Dean, School of Information Sciences,
University of Pittsburgh; Member, Brown University Library Advisory
Council; ASIS&T Representative to the AAAS Science and Human Rights
Coalition and member, 80th Anniversary Celebration Taskforce.

*Ken Herold, Chair SIG HFIS*

--on behalf of the Advisory Group