[Sighfis-l] [Asis-l] Call for I-Stories: SIG History and Foundations of Information Science

IBEKWE-SANJUAN Fidelia fidelia.ibekwe-sanjuan at univ-amu.fr
Sun May 3 17:28:31 EDT 2015

*Reminder*.Please circulate this to your colleagues, students, virtual
and physical communities of peers. I'm sure many will have hilarious,
funny and witty encounters with information to share.

> *Call for I-Stories
> *
>
> ** ** ** ** ** **** *SIG History & Foundations of Information Science
> *
>
> http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGHFIS/
>
> **
>
> Information and communication phenomena are at the heart of our daily
> lives. They are how we know things and yet our understanding of these
> concepts and underlying phenomena are at best slippery. Just when we
> think we’ve pinned or penned them down nicely with a few well chosen
> phrases, we discover that those phrases are inadequate, that others
> disagree with our definitions or that many other conceptions abound.
> Not to bore you with the many varied conceptions of information, the
> aim of this call for I-Stories is to bring forth, through everyday
> experience, the many different things information can mean to
> different people or to the same person in different circumstances in a
> lively and entertaining manner.
>
> The SIG History & Foundations of Information Science solicits stories
> on how information and its understanding affect our daily lives, be it
> in work situations, in our private lives, in our research. The stories
> of information and around information should showcase how effective or
> ineffective the concept may be, how it can mean different things to
> different people, how that may have got you into
> misunderstandings//and how that has got you thinking about information
> in general. The stories may concern an event, something that happened
> to you or to someone you know, a talk you heard or involve well known
> scholars and how they have grappled with this open-ended question.
>
> We encourage scholars, practitioners, and especially students to send
> us a text of at most,  1000 words which can be illustrated with drawings.
>
> A jury chosen from SIG HFIS members will choose 5 stories that shed
> startling, informative and unexpected insights into our understanding
> of the phenomenon we call information and of the field we call
> information science/studies.
>
> Stories by students will receive particular attention and if selected,
> their authors will receive a 1 year free membership to ASIST and to
> HFIS. Membership benefits are varied and can be consulted at
> http://www.asis.org/.
>
> Stories written by practitioners or faculty members if selected will
> receive a gift card of $30 as well as 1 year free membership to SIG HFIS.
>
> Please send your stories to fidelia.ibekwe-sanjuan at univ-amu.fr
> <mailto:fidelia.ibekwe-sanjuan at univ-amu.fr>by 30^th may.
>
> The jury will render the result of its deliberation by 30^th June.
>
> Fidelia Ibekwe-SanJuan
>
> HFIS chair (2014-2015)

Fidelia Ibekwe-SanJuan (Ph.D.)
Full Professor (Professeur des Universités)
School of Journalism & Communication (EJCAM)
http://ejcam.univ-amu.fr/
Aix-Marseille University - France.
Homepage: http://fidelia1.free.fr/
IRSIC research team: http://irsic.univ-amu.fr/