[Sighfis-l] Two different meetings in Baltimore!

Kathryn La Barre klabarre at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 24 10:27:33 EDT 2012

There are two meetings in Baltimore this coming October.

(1) ASIST 75th anniversary history pre-conference will be held
immediately prior to the 2012 Annual Meeting of ASIST, in Baltimore,
Maryland.

The deadline for papers for this conference has passed and we received
a number of submissions. The review process has begun.

I sent this year's call for HFIS-focused work to follow Dick Hill's
CFP for the Annual meeting which I copy below:

(2) ASIST 75th Annual Meeting Information, Interaction, Innovation:
Celebrating the Past, Constructing the Present, and Creating the
Future. October 26-31, 2012, Baltimore, Maryland

IMPORTANT DATES
1) Papers, Panels, Workshops & Tutorials
Deadline for submissions:  April 30
2) Posters, Demos & Videos:
Deadline for submissions:  June 10

Submitting to the History preconference does not disqualify you from
submitting other work to the annual meeting, in fact we'd like to see
a strong presence at the annual meeting.

Hence my call:

As with past years, the advisory board of SIG/HFIS stands ready to
assist you in assembling your submissions for the 75th Annual
Meeting.We'd like for the SIG to have a stellar presence.  For
example, sometimes people have an idea for a panel or other
submission, but no good way find a full panel of participants. SIGs
regularly sponsor sessions at the meeting, and in the past we've found
that co-sponsored material seems to be favored in the selection
process as having wider appeal to members.

Some ideas for panels/papers from the October business meeting:

We'd like to submit a proposal for an an HFIS-focused poster session
to bring doctoral (and even masters) student work together for
discussion.

Other suggestions:

Try to include both senior and junior scholars on your panel.
Contributions from other SIGs and Chapters on their history are welcome.
A panel on obsolete SIGs
Sarah Buchanan suggested collaborating with SIG-AH on jointly sponsored panels.
Proposing an interactive 'Birds of a Feather' HFIS-focused session.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon! If you have questions or
concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kathryn La Barre
Chair of SIG/HFIS
klabarre at illinois.edu