[Sighfis-l] SIG funds roll over?

Lipetz, Ben-Ami balipetz at albany.edu
Tue Jul 24 20:41:41 EDT 2012

Hello, I am still here, somewhat.  I agree that the SIG should try to retain the funds, and join Chuck in commending Toni for her ideas.  But I would suggest consideration of a somewhat different take on her ideas for supporting specific oral history projects just yet in order to confront the problem of the elephant in the room.  By that, I mean the long-ignored problem of the disgraceful status of ASIST's recorded history today--disorganized or lost, out of ASIST's control largely, no effort to manage or consolidate, no plan or timeline for doing something about it.  Could the SIG perhaps undertake to use its funds to make some headway toward a happy solution, perhaps by forming a task group to sort out the situation and propose a plan, perhaps by airing the problem and possibilities at a future session, or maybe both?  I find it ironic and embarassing that an organization for a profession dedicated to excellence in capturing and exploiting the world's records should be doing so poorly with its own history and records.  End of oration.

Ben