[Sighfis-l] History Fund award winners, 2009

WILLIAMS, ROBERT BOBWILL at mailbox.sc.edu
Tue Oct 6 12:07:01 EDT 2009

Folks: below is information regarding the recent awards made by the
History Fund Advisory Board for 2009. These are the first awards made by
the Fund. Please distribute/publicize in way possible. Thanks.

The ASIST History Fund Advisory Board Awards for 2009

The ASIST History of Information Science and Technology Fund Advisory
Board is pleased to announce two awards for 2009. These are the first
awards made by the Fund, which was established by the ASIST Board of
Directors in 2000. The Fund is supported by donations from ASIST members
and others interested in the history of information science and
technology.

The 2009 grant award, for $1,000, has been made to Charles Meadow for
the purpose of researching the historical background of what is known as
the "digital divide." He is Professor, Emeritus, Faculty of Information,
University of Toronto and the author of many books and articles relating
to information science. His proposal states: "My basic thesis is that
what we call a digital divide is something that began long before the
word digital had any meaning. I will use the far more general term
information and communication divide - ICD to include ancient
developments as causes of divides." A report on his research will be
made at the 2010 ASIST annual meeting.

The 2009 Best Paper Award, for $500, has been made to Rachel Plotnick,
graduate student at Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, for her paper
titled "Computers, Systems Theory and the Making of a Wired Hospital: A
History of Technicon Medical Information System, 1964-1987." Ms.
Plotnick is currently working on her Ph.D. in Media, Technology and
Society in the School of Communication at Northwestern. She will present
her paper at the 2010 ASIST annual meeting.

The History Fund Advisory Board currently consists of: Robert V.
Williams, Chair; Michael Buckland; Trudi Bellardo Hahn; Ben-Ami Lipetz;
Samantha Hastings.

Robert V. Williams, Distinguished Prof., Emeritus

University of South Carolina

Columbia, SC 29208

Ph: 803-777-2324

E-mail: bobwill at sc.edu