[Sighfis-l] FW: Goedenken EA "The literature of American Library History...."

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Mon Mar 28 16:38:27 EST 2005

[Forwarded.  Dick Hill]

Edward A. Goedeken : edgoed at iastate.edu or goedeken at iastate.edu

Title:          The literature of American library history, 1999-2000
Author(s): Goedeken EA
Source:     LIBRARIES & CULTURE 37 (2): 138-174 SPR 2002
Document Type: Review
Language: English
Cited References: 138
Times Cited: 0

Introduction

This latest edition of the Libraries & Culture biennial bibliographic review
essay encompasses a pair of years that straddle two millennia. When one
considers this long-standing assignment from that viewpoint, it can seem
awesome indeed. But this being my fourth outing on this particular
adventure, I no longer quake quite as much from the prospect of surveying
the panorama of the most recent library history literature. I do, however,
take to heart the advice recently given by the historian Piers Brendan:
"Historians should be euhemerists. Their task is to expose the reality
within the myth, to reveal the flesh and blood behind the godhead." 1
Assessing the scholarship that surrounds libraries and librarianship may not
rise to the level of evaluating the godhead, but the seriousness of the
enterprise is not lost upon me. As library historians, we have a long way to
go before we can equal Lytton Strachey's confidence that his knowledge of
nineteenth-century Britain was already so extensive that "the History of the
Victorian Age will never be written: we know too much about it." 2 We don't
have that problem; there is too much unknown about our American library
past. Nevertheless, despite the large lacunae in our historical knowledge,
let us see what we have done this time around to fill in the gaps.

Addresses: Goedeken EA (reprint author), Iowa State Univ, Ames, IA 50011 USA
Iowa State Univ, Ames, IA 50011 USA
Publisher: UNIV TEXAS PRESS, BOX 7819, AUSTIN, TX 78713-7819 USA