[Sighfis-l] 100 year highlights of IS?

Trudi Hahn th90 at umail.umd.edu
Thu May 15 12:30:28 EDT 2003

As a follow up to my column in the April/May ASIST Bulletin, "What Has
Information Science Contributed to the World?" I would like to focus on
IS historical highlights in my next column (due by June 15). And I'd
like your help!

Linked to the ASIST Web site is Bob Williams' site: "Chronology of
Information Science and Technology." The address is

http://www.libsci.sc.edu/bob/istchron/ISCNET/Ischron.htm

Even if you have seen it before, but especially if you have not, I
encourage you to pay a visit and marvel at how much of our historical
chronology Bob has been able to record. However, you will notice too
that there are many gaps. For example, the 1960's are especially well
documented (at least in certain areas of endeavor), but the 1980's are
not. Bob has relied heavily on our published historical studies, and his
chronology reflects that. But many more important milestones need to be
documented.

I encourage you to visit the site and then brainstorm about additional
items, especially for the 20th century, and especially within the
framework I outlined in my last column:
	1. Measuring the information explosion
	2. Containing the information explosion
	3. Applying computers to manipulating documents and document records in
ISR systems
	4. Studying users' information seeking, needs and preferences
	5. Contributing to formulating national information policies

Please send your milestone events or accomplishments to Bob
(bobwill at sc.edu) and to me (th90 at umail.umd.edu).

I will also welcome any suggestions you have for my June President's
Page in the Bulletin. I have this "bully pulpit" to write about themes
and issues I think are important, and to raise awareness of aspects of
our profession and ASIST that may be neglected. I want to fan the flames
of interest in the history of information science & technology, and your
ideas for how best to do that will be much appreciated.

Keeping in mind that I have a mid-June deadline, please let me hear from
you soon. Thank you thank you thank you!

	Trudi
	ASIST President 2003

--
Trudi Bellardo Hahn, Ph.D.