[Sighfis-l] Knowledge Map of Information Science

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Wed Dec 17 09:23:26 EST 2003

[Forwarded for Chaim Zins <chaimz at research.haifa.ac.il>.  Dick Hill]

Dear colleagues,

My name is Chaim Zins and I am an information scientist. I would like to
invite you to participate in an exciting study, "Knowledge Map of Information
Science". The study is sponsored by the Israel Science Foundation, which is
affiliated to the Israel Academy of Science.

The study explores the theoretical foundations of information science (IS). It
is aimed at developing a comprehensive, systematic, and scientifically valid
knowledge map of the information science knowledge domain, and grounding it on
a solid theoretical basis.

The scientific methodology is Critical Delphi. This is a qualitative research
methodology designed to facilitate critical and reflective series of in-depth
structured peer discussions among experts on the various aspects of the issues
involved.

The study is composed of three successive rounds of structured, comprehensive,
and lengthy (10+ pages each) questionnaires that will be sent to the panel via
email. Most of the questions are open. The study's objective is to reach
consensus among the participants or to sharpen disagreements. To neutralize
biases, I will cite the responses anonymously during the study. However, I
will reveal the names of the cited participants and resources in future
publications.

The international panel will include more than 40 leading scholars in the
field of IS. Currently there are three criteria for the panel selection. Each
panel member should (1) be an expert in the field of IS; (2) be a scholar
(i.e., an intensive learner) in the field of IS; and (3) hold a doctorate (PhD
or equivalent) in IS, or have refereed publications in IS (i.e., refereed
contributions to IS theory and scientific knowledge base).

If you know of other prominent members of the IS academic community, I would
be grateful if you would send me their names, and I will invite them to join
the panel.

The study will map the IS research and theoretical foci as perceived by the
prominent members of the IS academic community who will participate in the
research panel. Among the various issues that will be studied are the
following.
(1) The conception/s of IS;
(2) The interrelations of IS and related fields (e.g., library science, and
computer science);
(3) The classification of IS knowledge domain into its key facets;
(4) The disciplines that establish the theoretical foundations of IS (e.g.,
anthropology, communication, computer science, economics, linguistics,
mathematics, philosophy (epistemology, ethics, logic, and philosophy of
science), psychology, and sociology);
(5) Taxonomies of IS research methodologies;
(6) Taxonomies of information resources, media, and information technologies;
(7) Taxonomies of information environments, and information organizations;
(8) Taxonomies of users; and
(9) Taxonomies of search strategies, methods, and tactics.

I am well aware that participating in the panel is demanding and time
consuming. However, it is expected that the study will be intellectually
challenging, highly interesting, and extremely exciting.

The first questionnaire will be sent to the panel within few days.

For more information on the study please visit:
http://hw.haifa.ac.il/human/hebrew/ISMapWeb.htm

I hope that you will accept the invitation to participate. I look forward to
receiving your decision (Please note that I will confirm your response within
few days. If you do not get confirmation, please resubmit your email).

Respectfully,

Chaim Zins

Chaim Zins, PhD
Bar Ilan University
Tel/Fax: 972-2-5816705
Homepage (at the University of Haifa:
http://hw.haifa.ac.il/human/hebrew/chaim_zins.html
Success Site: http://www.success.co.il
email: chaimz at research.haifa.ac.il chaimz at macam.ac.il

Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
PHONE: (301) 495-0900