[Sighfis-l] Information Ethics

Ken Herold kherold at hamilton.edu
Wed May 1 06:38:01 EDT 2002

I invite this group to begin discussion of questions in the ethics of
information as part of our participation in the definition and
recommendation of appropriate standards and controls at the
international level, specifically in advance of next year's World
Summit on the Information Society (10 to 12 December 2003) in Geneva.
Under United Nations auspices and lead by the International
Telecommunication Union this first phase will seek adoption of a
Declaration of Principles and Action Plan. One theme identified already
is “Ethics of the Information Society.” Floridi has previously
endorsed an extension of ethical concern from the biosphere to the
infosphere and noted the importance of this historical opportunity for
collaboration, citing the 21st World Congress of Philosophy: Philosophy
Facing World Problems (10 to 17 August 2003) in Istanbul. IFLA, the
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, has
been active in past UNESCO sessions on InfoEthics and will certainly
continue its contributions. Another venue, in the United States, will
be the 2002 Annual Meeting of ASIST, the American Society for
Information Science and Technology, on “Knowledge, Connections and
Community” (18 to 21 November 2002) in Philadelphia. I encourage
everyone to bookmark these sites:
www.unesco.org/webworld/
www.wcp2003.org
www.itu.int/wsis