[Siged-l] FW: Status of SLIS at LSU

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Thu May 27 08:39:37 EDT 2010

[Forwarded by request.  Dick Hill]
From: Carol L Barry [mailto:lsbary at lsu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:33 AM
To: Dick Hill
Subject: Status of SLIS at LSU

I’ve received e-mail from many of my ASIST colleagues asking about the
status of SLIS at Louisiana State University.
On May 24, Chancellor Michael Martin issued a press release regarding the
university plan for closure and reduction of campus units. Academic programs
recommended for closure include the Master of Library and Information
Science. From the tone of the press release, one might conclude that this
decision has actually been finalized and is being implemented.
In reality, the chancellor’s recommendations must be approved by both the
Board of Supervisors of the LSU System, and the state Board of Regents. We
believe that we can make a compelling argument that this is an ill-advised
recommendation (especially given that we are the only LIS program in the
state), and that the closure would negatively impact the educational and
economic well-being of the citizens of the state of Louisiana.
Thanks for all of the offers of assistance that you’ve sent to me. I think
the most important thing right now is to dispel the notion that this
decision has actually been made.
Carol Barry

Carol L. Barry, Associate Professor
Louisiana State University