[Siged-l] Programs at Annual 2003

Jody Condit Fagan jfagan at lib.siu.edu
Wed Sep 25 09:40:04 EDT 2002

Dear SIG/ED'ers,

You may already know about the following if you have received your
Preliminary Program, but just in case, I have summarized the SIG/ED
sponsored programs below in brief.  As you will see, Wednesday is SIG/ED
day!  No sleeping in that day!  I know there are so many good programs it
is hard to get to them all, but I hope you will be able to come to some of
the below.  For the program descriptions, see
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM02/schedule.html

FYI some of the speakers have changed a bit from the preliminary program -
below are the most current speaker names.

Also, I am setting up a time for our SIG/ED planning meeting, but I haven't
confirmed it yet.  Will be in touch.

Wednesday, November 20th:

8:30 am: Training and Coordination for Chat Reference (with
SIG/USE).  Eileen Abels and Margaret Turqman, Joanne Silverstein, John V.
Richardson; Moderated by Jody Condit Fagan

8:30 am: Bioinformatics in Information Science Education (with SIG/BIO, of
course!) Eugene Garfield, Greg Paris, Beth Logan, and Marti Smith;
Moderated by Glynn Harmon

8:30 am: The Library of the Future: Interweaving the Virtual and the
Physical (With SIG USE & DL) Nancy K. Roderer, Shirley Dugdale, Barbara
Wildemuth, Kerryn A. Brandt, Ph.D.; Reactor: Julie Hurd, University of
Illinois, Chicago

1:30 pm: Virtual Reference Services: Exploring the Open Source Options
(SIGs DL, ED, LAN & STI) Jody Condit Fagan, Sam Stormont, Rong Tang
(Moderator), Rob Casson

3:30 pm: Virtual Reference: Evolving the Vehicle, Evaluating the Service
and Optimizing the Link Between Providers and Users (SIGs STI, ED & MGT)
Steve Coffman, Charles R. McClure, Bernie Sloan; Co-Moderators: Ruth E.
Fenske, & Penny O'Connor

3:30 pm: Digital Libraries Supporting Distance Education (SIGs DL, ED &
PUB) Tim Tirrell, Phillip D. Long, Ed Walker;             Moderator:
José-Marie Griffiths, University of Pittsburgh

Also, SIG/ED is again sponsoring the following, which is not really a
session but a seminar that pairs experienced researchers with selected
junior researchers in a mentoring relationship:

Doctoral Forum (by invitation only), Moderator: Barbara Wildemuth, UNC,
Chapel Hill