[Siged-l] Panel presentations for ASIST 2002

Jody Condit Fagan jfagan at lib.siu.edu
Thu May 16 14:52:16 EDT 2002

Dear SIG-ED members and lurkers,

I know it's been a while since an email came across - never fear, the
listserv IS working!  Part of the reason for the radio silence is that we
have been eagerly awaiting the decision of the program planners.  The good
news is, several of our panels were accepted and will be on the ASIS
program.  The titles and speakers of each panel session (there are three)
that I have heard are approved follow.

Cheers,

Jody Fagan
Chair, SIG-ED

Title: Digital Libraries Supporting Distance Education

Authors: José-Marie Griffiths Moderator. School of Information Sciences,
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA USA. E-mail:
jmgriff at mail.sis.pitt.edu Tim Tirrell "The MERLOT Project." Distance
Education Coordinator, Virginia Community College System, Richmond, VA USA.
E-mail: ttirrell at vccs.edu TBA “Open Knowledge Initiative.”
http://web.mit.edu/oki/project.html Caroline Oldershaw “IMS Global.” IMS
Global Learning Consortium, http://www.imsproject.org/

Title: Virtual Reference Services: Exploring the Open Source Options

Authors: Pascal V. Calarco Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries,
Library Information Systems, PO Box 842033, Richmond, VA 23284-2033 USA.
Tel. 804-828-0032 Fax 804-828-0151 E-mail: pvcalarc at vcu.edu Jody Condit
Fagan Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Morris Library, Carbondale,
IL 62901-6632 USA. E-mail: jfagan at lib.siu.edu Sam Stormont Temple
University Libraries, Philadelphia, PA 19122 USA. E-mail:
samuel.stormont at temple.edu Rob Casson Miami University, King Library,
Oxford, OH 45056 USA. E-mail: CASSONRD at MUOhio.Edu

Title: Virtual Reference:
Evolving the vehicle, evaluating the service,
optimizing the link between providers and users,
a Technical panel session sponsored by SIG/STI, SIG/ED, and SIG/MGT

CO-MODERATORS:

Ruth E. Fenske, Ph.D., Head, Reference Unit, John Carroll University,
Grasselli Library,
20700 North Park Blvd., University Hts., OH 44118
phone (216) 397-4523 or fax (216) 397-4256
home phone (216) 397-8785
rfenske at jcu.edu

Penny O'Connor, Assistant Head Science and Technology Dept., Cleveland
Public Library,
325 Superior Ave., Cleveland, OH 44114-1271
phone (216) 623-2932 or fax (216) 623-7029
home phone (216) 676-4859
penny.oconnor at computer.org

PRESENTERS:

Steve Coffman, VP, Product development, LSSI - Library Systems and Services
LLC,
20250 Century Blvd. Germantown, MD 20874
phone (800) 638-8725 x265
stevec at lssi.com

Dr. Charles R. McClure, Francis Eppes Professor and
Director, Information Use Management and Policy Institute, School of
Information Studies,
Louis Shores Building, Rm. 226, Florida State University,
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2100
phone (850)644-8109 cmcclure at lis.fsu.edu

Bernie Sloan, University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and
Information Science,
University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801
bernies at uillinois.edu