[Sigdl-l] APARSEN Training Event – Sustainability: Securing the Value of Digital Data Assets

Tsakonas Giannis john at lis.upatras.gr
Wed Nov 6 04:24:38 EST 2013

- apologies for cross-postings -

APARSEN TRAINING EVENT – SUSTAINABILITY: SECURING THE VALUE OF DIGITAL
DATA ASSETS
The Hague, 10th-11th December 2013

The APARSEN project is delighted to announce that registration has
opened for our latest training event, organised by DANS and focusing on
issues relating to sustainability and digital preservation.

Society is generating a vast amount of digitally encoded information,
upon which it depends. Some of this will be needed for a long time.
Those who have responsibility for preservation may well have asked
themselves the following:

* How can I justify the resources needed for digital preservation?
* How long must the resources be committed?
* How can I estimate the resources needed and how can I keep these to a
minimum?
* How can I plan to cope as the volume increases over time?

The APARSEN project has been working to collect, evaluate and develop
key answers to these questions. This two day training event, from the
APARSEN project, will focus on the topic of “Sustainability” in relation
to the preservation of digital objects and will present some of these
answers. The training aims at presenting state of the art developments
in relation to four key sustainable preservation practices. These are:

* The infrastructural dimension through the analysis of
suitable STORAGE solutions that help enable reliable permanent access
* The operational dimension through the identification, evaluation and
proposal of competitive Digital Preservation SERVICES
* The monitoring and performance management of DP activities through
COST MODELS and their components
* The underlying business dimension of digital preservation
sustainability by means of modern management approaches and instruments
such as value propositions, BUSINESS CASES and business modelling

The training will be offered as a mix of expert presentations, group
exercises and discussion. REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN VIA THE APARSEN
WEBSITE AT A COST OF €50 FOR BOTH DAYS: http://bit.ly/1aCaME3 [1]

This training event is generously subsidised through the APARSEN
project by the European Community’s 7th Framework Programme for Research
and Development FP7/2007-2013 – ICT-2009.4.1: Digital Libraries and
Digital Preservation (grant agreement No 269977).