[Sigdl-l] Items of Possible Interest

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Fri Dec 20 14:39:02 EST 2002

[Forwared message from Cliff Lynch.  List is CNI-Announce.  Dick Hill]

There are several things that may be of interest to CNI-announce readers
which I have gathered up in this message.

Over the past year, I was fortunate to be able to serve on a joint
DARPA/NASA/NSF panel on information management technology requirements
which has now completed its work. Larry Lannom of CNRI has done a brief
overview of the report for the December D-lib magazine (this includes a
pointer to the full report).
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/december02/12inbrief.html#LANNOM

Sun Microsystems has issued a report on technology trends in digital
libraries. This was actually prepared over the summer of 2002 and came out
in the fall, but I just recently got the actual URL. See
<http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/whitepapers/pdf/digital_library_trends.pdf>http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/whitepapers/pdf/digital_library_trends.pdf

The ACM held a workshop in November on Digitial Rights Management. The
papers are now linked to the workshop web site, at
http://crypto.stanford.edu/DRM2002/prog.html . Several of these are very
interesting reading for those concerned with DRM issues.

Finally, I've prepared a piece titled "The Afterlives of Courses on the
Network: Information Management Issues for Learning Management Systems" as
part of the Educause ECAR subscription service (for more information see
http://www.educause.edu/ecar ). However, unlike other ECAR reports, this
one is also publically available on the CNI web site.

Happy holidays

Clifford Lynch
Director, CNI

Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
PHONE: (301) 495-0900