[Sigdl-l] [Fwd: August 2002 Issue of RLG DigiNews is Now Available]

Pascal V. Calarco pvcalarc at vcu.edu
Thu Aug 15 15:10:10 EDT 2002

This issue includes some brief information on a very interesting
Mellon-funded collaboration project between Cornell and University of
Virginia to buld an open-source digital repository system building on
the work previous accomplished with the Flexible Extensible Digital
Object and Repository Architecture (FEDORA).

What I find particularly exciting about this project is that we have not
generally seen the deliverables of major grant-funded digital library
projects to be made available to wider communities via open source
(although there are some notable exceptions).  Through open sourcing
these deliverables, a wider community can be brought into using the
standards and tools developed from these projects, and they can achieve
a life beyond the experimental prototypes and testbeds that have limited
many of the major digital library deliverable systems.  Let's hope we
see more of this open source technology transfer in the future!

   - pascal

Pascal V. Calarco, MLIS, AHIP
Head, Library Information Systems
VCU Libraries