[sigCR] This year's SIG/CR Workshop -- Call for Papers

Barbara H Kwasnik bkwasnik at syr.edu
Thu Jul 13 11:02:11 EDT 2017

Dear SIG/CR members,
We’re pleased to announce this year’s workshop. The planning committee (Lala Hayibayova, Rob Montoya, Laura Ridenour, Maayan Zhitomirsky-Geffet, and I) have been working on this idea for some time now. Our goal is to WAKE UP SIG/CR! The Workshop is meant to be a launching pad for many SIG/CR projects in the future. We want it to be both conceptual and practical, but we also know that multi-perspective classification efforts are complicated and difficult. Who else is better to tackle the basics than we are?

So, please send in a short concept paper. We want the Workshop to be filled with ideas and thus will try to accommodate as many opportunities for participation as possible in the time allotted to us. Best paper award! Scholarships for grad students! The proceedings will be published in Advances in Classification Research Online.

Please distribute the call far and wide. Note, though, that the deadline for papers is August 15 so no time to dally. With best regards, Barbara (Chair, SIG/CR)

Call for Concept Papers & Presentations:
ASIS&T SIG/CR Workshop on Building a Research Agenda for Multi-Perspective Knowledge Representation
Workshop sponsored by ASIS&T
Special Interest Group/Classification Research (SIG/CR)
October 27, 12:30-5:30pm
-
ASIS&T Annual Meeting, October 27-November 1, 2017, Crystal City, VA, USA
Please feel free to circulate this message to any colleagues or contacts you think may be interested.
Important Dates:
August 15                            Concept papers due
August 16-23                       Papers reviewed
August 24                             Authors notified
September 15                      Revised papers due
October 20                           Workshop Participants receive copies of all papers as pre-reads
October 20                           Presentations/slides due

Submission: To submit a concept paper (maximum 1,500 words), please email Lala Hajibayova at lhajibay at kent.edu.

We invite contributions for academic research, case studies, work-in-progress and PhD Research. Concept papers for non-academic contributions and product demonstrations based on the main themes are also welcome. A prize will be awarded to the best paper. For more information visit the SIG/CR site at https://sigcr.wordpress.com<https://sigcr.wordpress.com/>.
Workshop Goals:
Ontologies, classifications, and controlled vocabularies, are built to represent the knowledge of a specific domain and thus represent the particular entities and relationships of that domain from that community's perspective. But, what if we want to represent many perspectives? What are the conceptual and technical issues of creating a relationship among ontologies that collect and represent multiple views and are often maintained by diverse constituencies? The goal for the workshop is to identify, define, and compile a set of principles and practices for integrating and coordinating knowledge-representation schemes from different perspectives and for application in a variety of contexts without losing the integrity or personality of the contributing schemes.

Topics of Interest for Concept Papers:
Bearing in mind that the purpose of the workshop is to compile a list of issues and practices rather than a particular knowledge structure, we solicit short papers related to any of the following:
●        Purposes, motivations, and functions of multi-perspective classification systems
●        Knowledge structures and ontological data models in specific domains that exhibit particular aspects relevant to workshop goals
●        Issues in building multi-perspective classification structures
●        Thoughts on how to accommodate for growth and expansion of classification/knowledge organization systems
●        Examples of data models and systems maintaining particular "views" or "dimensions" of knowledge representation with respect to space, population type and culture (local vs. global, individual vs. community/society views), time (diachronic vs. synchronic, contemporary vs. historical views), opinion and authority (expert vs. crowds, viewpoint-dependent vs. consensual, subjective vs. objective views), and scope (intra-disciplinary vs. inter-disciplinary)
●        Issues of authority and autonomy
●        Rules or practices to support multi-perspective work
●        Issues related to modeling and reconciling relationships between knowledge systems
●        Issues of maintenance and classification system evolution
Workshop Structure:
●        Part 1, Presentations: Laying the Conceptual Framework. Each presenter will have 5 minutes to present a concise version of their paper, followed by a 5-minute moderated discussion led by the respondent
●        Part 2, Collaborative Session: Identifying Issues. Starting with existing schemes/ontologies, we will look for approaches and techniques to harmonizing and integrating different views. We will consider the fundamental components of a generic multi-perspective classification model, such as terms, conceptual relationships, cross-perspective relationships, and overall structure.

After the Conference: The workshop outcomes will be summarized in a paper and the proceedings (including the papers) will be published in Advances in Classification Research Online.

Cost: The registration rates will be  $115 for members, $125 non-members, including a coffee break.

Graduate Student Scholarships: SIG/CR is dedicated to supporting graduate student involvement. Limited scholarships are available and will be distributed to all registered graduate students.

Questions: Please email Lala Hajibayova at lhajibay at kent.edu.

Workshop Co-Chairs:
Lala Hajibayova, PhD., Kent State University
Barbara H. Kwaśnik, Ph.D., Syracuse University
Robert D. Montoya, PhD., Indiana University Bloomington
Laura Ridenour, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Maayan Zhitomirsky-Geffet, Ph.D., Bar-Ilan University