[sigCR] How many controlled vocabularies?

Elisa Sze elisa.sze at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 21 12:00:39 EST 2013

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, the SAS collection at the University of Toronto iSchool is no longer a complete inventory, in the sense that we have been able to add very few new titles to it in the last few years. HIstorically, our collection was listed in the ANSI/NISO standard as the North American clearinghouse for English language thesauri and controlled vocabulary published in print; the status helped us in building up the collection. As one of the consultants from NISO informed me though, most thesauri are no longer being produced in print, so as a result, the committee that revised ANSI/NISO Z39.19-2005 decided that it would no longer list the clearinghouses for this type of material.

Hope this helps to shed some light on the topic.

Best regards,
Elisa

--
Elisa Sze
Librarian, Collections & Public Services Coordinator

Telephone: 416-978-7071
http://www.ischool.utoronto.ca/staff/elisa-sze