[Sigcr-l] SIG-CR: New chair and chair elect

Infoman Inc. mpereira at istar.ca
Sat May 23 13:26:52 EDT 2009

This conversation triggers some  initial comments:

1. I think that "cataloging" should be

1.1 broadly defined and be based on core cataloging principles and
rules, i.e. those which have passed the test of time (and fads);

1.2 are IT-neutral,  i.e. IT-platform and implementation "syntax"
independent (because these change every 5-10 years (with syntax (e.g.
SQL, XML, Semantic Web, etc. being more of a "mechanical packaging" (or
"wrapper" nature). IT-neutral also means neutral with respect to the
nature of the medium on which the information to be recorded, i.e.
recorded information, is actually recorded be this ahrd-copy or "soft
copy, digital or non-digital, etc.; and,

1.3 be architectured and structurally engineered to support human
interface equivalents(HIEs), i.e. multilingual expandability, support
for inclusive design (being able to present contents in a HIE form which
supports/facilitates accessibility (for individuals with disabilities)

2. From a "metadata" (or "data element") perspective, what one needs to
do is to determine

2.1 how and where existing /newly developed standards can be utilized
(e.g. RDA); and

2.2. what are the existing gaps?

3. Finally, before we all get exited it would be most useful to
have/develop a common definition of the concept, function and purpose of
"cataloging" (the need for which I fully support.

best regards - Jake Knoppers