[Sigcr-l] Proposals for SIG/CR panels for next year's conference

klabarre at uiuc.edu klabarre at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 14 12:54:10 EST 2006

Greetings!

At the recent SIG-HFIS planning meeting, the general consensus was that the joint CR-HFIS panels were quite successful and well received. We would like to see continued cooperation between the two SIGS. At the SIG cabinet meeting, SI (social informatics) proposed a panel on the library of the future - which seems to me to be a grand possibility for multiple collaboration given the current discussion of next generation catalogs, FRBR, RDA and the changes afoot at the Library of Congress.

HFIS interest is quite keen in another reprise of the FRBR panel, as is interest in full engagement in the current debates that were set off by the recent changes at Library of Congress, the planned bibliographic summit at ALA this summer and the possibilities currently being discussed of several pre-summit gatherings in the coming months, that are being planned in order to formulate responses to these changes and their broader implications within the LIS community.

I would very much like to see CR and HFIS play a significant role in the discussions at these upcoming gatherings. In the context of panels for the upcoming annual meeting of ASIST, we might also want to consider planning a panel or two in order to address these developments. The January deadline comes long before any of the planned meetings, but I think we could draft a abstract or two that would be sufficiently general to allow the incorporation of the developments that occur post-January to engage the interest of ASIST.

Best,

Kathryn