[Sigcr-l] Proposals for SIG/CR panels for next year's conference

Barbara Kwasnik Bkwasnik at syr.edu
Mon Nov 13 18:52:16 EST 2006

Final issue: ideas for panels for next year.

In the past, SIG/CR has been very prolific in submitting ideas for
panels, but I understand that there will be more limitations on number
of panels per SIG (Joe, did you find out anything more about this?).
Here's how the process works:
1. A person takes on organizing a panel and outlines the topic
2.Organizer chooses potential presenters and gets their tentative
approval. If the panel will be co-sponsored it's sometimes the custom to
reserve at least one of the speakers to be suggested by the cooperating
SIG if they wish.
3. Organizer submits panel description according to specs to SIG/CR
vice-president/presidentn elect who forwards them to the Conference
Program Committee. I'm not sure the submission process still goes this
way, but that's how it was in the past.
4. SIG/CR VP contacts the counterpart in other SIGs to get approval for
co-sponsoring. Often this requires nothing more of the co-sponsors
except an OK, or perhaps the suggestion of a speaker or adjustment to
the proposal. As a rule, ASIST likes co-sponsored SIG Panels and you
stand a better chance of acceptance if that is the case.
5. Panel is accepted or rejected by program committee.
6. If accepted, Organizer submits an abstract and info. about speakers
by the deadline.
7. Organizer coordinates the panel at the conference (often, but not
necessarily, as moderator or as one of the speakers)
8. SIG/CR gives Organizer a BIG pat on the back.

So, on to ideas for next year. As far as I know, we have only one thus
far. Usually we spend some time at the planning meeting brainstorming,
but this year we used up our time discussing all the other pressing
issues.

The one suggestion is to have a reprise of Joseph Busch's panels on
"Classification in Everyday Life." He said he'd be willing to organize
them again. The two sessions we had were well attended, and those who
spoke to us commented that they liked the mix of practitioner and
academic perspectives. I personally thought they were very interesting
sessions and was surprised by how much I learned from the guys doing
classification work "in the trenches." Thanks for a great pair of
session, Joseph. Barring any objections, I think we can proceed with
this panel idea, so it's over to you Joseph to get that going.

Meanwhile, any other ideas?
Follow-up work on social tagging for instance?

I'll collect the ideas and pass them on to our new VP once he/she has
been elected.

Barbara