[Sigcr-l] Election of officers

Barbara Kwasnik Bkwasnik at syr.edu
Mon Nov 13 17:24:26 EST 2006

Hello dear SIG/CR Members,
I volunteered at the planning meeting at the ASIST conference to be a
sort of "interim officer" and the spokesperson for several issues on our
collective SIG/CR plates:
1. election of officers,
2. planning for next year's workshop, and
3. submission of proposals for SIG panels for next year's annual
meeting.

I'll address these in separate emails so that we can have a coherent
thread for each.

So, first, election of officers.

At the moment we do not have a past president or president elect or
website person, so that is the most urgent order of business since it is
intimately involved with planning, receiving Society funds and being
"legal". I think we should take care of this a.s.a.p.

Here are the duties, more or less. Please fill iin what I've forgotten.
I'm writing this off the top of my head

President: coordinates the business of the SIG and is the chief liaison
with headquarters, writes the annual SIG report.
In the past the president also headed the workshop and proceedings
committee, but a few years ago we decided that it would be a fairer
distribution of effort to have a separate workshop chair(s). That's how
it was this year, and I'm assuming that's how we'll do it for next year
as well, barring any changes to policy. I don't recall if we elected the
workshop chair or just agreed to volunteers, and the usual "thanks"
acclamation.

Vice President/President Elect. Coordinates the SIG Panels for next
year's annual conference. Interacts with other SIGs to coordinate
sponsorship of the panels and interacts with the Program Committee
(especially the person in charge of panels).

Treasurer: handles our funds. We have a per capita allotment of money
from ASIST.

Webmaster/mistress: Maintains the SIG/CR website

I can't remember if we have a secretary or whether the web position is
in lieu of that.

I propose that we have a period for nominations and self-nominations
until December 1. I'll let you know what the "slate" is.

Then I think we can either have a formal paper ballot sent out by
headquarters, to be returned to me, or if that seems not to be
necessary, and you trust me, then you can send your votes to me by
email. Let me know how you wish to proceed. The election process in our
SIG has been somewhat informal and open in the past, but we want to be
fair.

Please send the nominations or self nominations to me by email, and
I'll compile them by Dec. 1. Is this acceptable?

Barbara