[Sigcr-l] SIG-CR Ballot for 2004-2005

Kathryn La Barre klabarre at indiana.edu
Wed Nov 3 13:14:33 EST 2004

Miguel,

I share your concerns and think it is highly important that SIG-CR regain
the richness and vitality it has demonstrated in the recent past.

I have every confidence that the new Chair will assist us in this effort
and I encourage each of you to attend the planning session at ASIST. If
you are unable to do this please do not hesitate to use the forum provided
by this list to communicate with the membership about what you would like
to see SIG-CR accomplish in the coming years.

Kathryn

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Miguel E. Ruiz wrote:

> Hi Jens-Erik,
>
> Thanks for the thoughtful comments about your position and explanation of the
> issues in SIGCR. I agree with you in your assessment that the SIGs are the
> backbone of ASIS&T. For this reason one of the goals of whoever gets elected
> should be to encourage more participation of the members in SIGCR.
>
> My main concern when I sent my message on Friday was that the election of
> SICGR officers, as it was presented, looked more like a popularity contest.
> Unfortunately the list server was either down or the configuration requires
> approval of messages and the message was not delivered until Tuesday.
>
> I don't doubt that you or Jian are qualified to lead the group but the issues
> and goals have to be more transparent so that the members can understand them
> and be more willing to participate.
>
> I particularly feel that SIGCR was one of the best SIGs but has been falling
> behind steadily. I want to make clear that this in not to blame the past
> Chairs (there is only so much that a person or two can do), but rather to
> encourage a change among all current members to make SIGCR a more active
> group.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Miguel Ruiz
>

> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 04:28 pm, Jens-Erik Mai wrote:
> > Hi Miguel,
> > Thanks for your e-mail.  I notice that you sent this out Friday but it
> > didn't arrive on the SIG/CR List before today... hrmmm... strange... oh,
> > well.  I think your suggestion is good.  It would have been good if Jian
> > and I had posted statements on the list.  That is, however, a bit too
> > late now, since the election is closed and Micki will post the results
> > soon.
> >
> > However, I would like to take a few minutes and explain to you why I am
> > interested in the position.  I think the SIGs are the backbone of ASIST.
> > ASIST needs strong and vibrant SIGs.  SIG/CR is one of the strongest and
> > best run SIGs in ASIST and I want that to continue.  My goal as Chair
> > would be to continue building the strength of SIG/CR.
> >
> > One thing that I think we need to do to make SIG/CR stronger is to
> > separate the position as Chair of the SIG from the position as Chair of
> > the Workshop.  Arranging the Workshop requires so much work and
> > attention that it is impossible to do other things for the SIG at the
> > same time.
> >
> > I do have experience in organizing Workshop and as the SIG Chair I would
> > be happy support the Workshop Chair while I oversee, shepherd, and
> > support other activities in the SIG.  I would be the person that made
> > sure that website was up to date, the mailing list works, the reports
> > are submitted to the HQ, etc. all these little small things that are
> > difficult to fit in when you organize a workshop.  I would also be happy
> > to help with the workshop as well, after all I do have some experience
> [...]

	Kathryn La Barre	http://mypage.iu.edu/~klabarre
	doctoral candidate,

	The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.
	It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true
	art and true science.
				Einstein (1954). Ideas and Opinions p. 11.