[Sigcr-l] Barbara Kyle

Shawne Miksa SMiksa at unt.edu
Tue Dec 3 18:30:54 EST 2002

I found reference to "mentefact" in CRG bulletin no. 8 (JDoc, vol. 20, no.3, Sept 1964) in which "mentefact" was defined simply as "mentally invented as man".  This bulletin dealt with the CRG's work on theory of integrative levels.  Mentefact was listed as one of four integrative levels (natural phenomena): evolutionary, fabricated by man (artefacts), mentally invented by man (mentefacts), and aggregate levels.

S.

>>> <DavidBatty at aol.com> 11/29/02 02:40PM >>>
As I recall, it was Barbara Kyle who coined the invaluable word "mentefact" for a mental constuct as a parallel to the physical "artifact" when discussing enitities in classification.

David B