[Sigcabinet] ASIST Technical Sessions Reorganization

Phillip M Edwards pmedward at email.unc.edu
Wed Sep 23 14:59:29 EDT 2009

I'm glad to see this discussion getting underway. I am all for the idea of
having particular "types" of sessions for the Technical Sessions: a
"traditional" panel type, a "workshop" type (like they are starting to do
at 4S: http://www.4sonline.org/meeting.htm ), and a "demos" type might work
well. If there are multiple types of Technical Sessions in the new
structure, I think it's important to let the SIGs specify one or more
acceptable format for their session, and the Program Committee can broker
some of deals with SIGs' sessions which would be better as one type or
another. I don't know if 6 and 6 and 6 is the "right" distribution, but
doing *something* is worth a shot.

I still wonder--I've wondered this for years, sometimes out loud--if there
wouldn't be some benefit to having a Minute Madness session at the AM where
all attendees can get some sense of which sessions might be most relevant
to them.

Just some thoughts... -Phil