[Sigcabinet] draft of proposed funding change for SIGs

Phillip M Edwards phillip.m.edwards at unc.edu
Sun Jul 19 16:23:27 EDT 2009

Some quick comments and thoughts:

I (still) think reducing the amount of funds that automatically accrue
in a SIG's account is a great idea, and Proposal 2 seems to address an
alternative approach clearly. Developing a quick reporting/request
form would be perfect for SIGs to justify any sponsored programs or
activities.

Maybe I'm not clear about what the difference is between proposals 1a
and 1b. Is 1a the "buffet" model: someone pays $10 (per year) and gets
to join any number of SIGs? Or are both "buffets" but at different
price points (i.e., $10/year or $6/year of unlimited SIGs)? Proposal
1b seems less desirable to me since we'd be losing, what, $1572/year
($6 x 262 members)? Would it be worth it or at all feasible to have
SIGs set their own annual dues, similar to what ALA does with their
divisions? So let's say that SIG-III wants to fund travel scholarships
from SIG dues in addition to the auction at the AM? Could they be a
$12 SIG? Then could a less revenue-redistributing SIG just go along
with the flat-rate that applies to all SIGs--$10, $6, whatever? I'd be
inclined to let SIGs price themselves, based on what they plan on
doing with the money and what their members might be willing to pay in
terms of dues. But would we spiral into chaos by opening that door?

Phil