[Sigah-l] Save the Date: Free SIG AH Webinar (Sept 21)

Jeremy McLaughlin jeremy.mclaughlin at sjsu.edu
Mon Jul 4 14:33:48 EDT 2016

Technology and Publishing: The Work of Scholarship in the Age of its
Digital Reproducibility.

A SIG AH webinar featuring Dr. Martin Paul Eve, Open Library of Humanities
and Birkbeck, University of London.

September 21, 2016 at 11am-12:15pm EDT/8-9:15am Pacific.

<https://www.asist.org/events/webinars/>

<https://www.asist.org/events/webinars/>

Chroniclers of the open-access movement such as Peter Suber have noted that
the open, online dissemination of scholarly and research material is
reliant upon digital reproduction. Indeed, prior to our present age, notes
Suber, all forms of non-rivalrous objects, such as knowledge, were tied to
rivalrous modes of communication, such as paper. Yet, is the digital age so
different from the "Age of Mechanical Reproduction" noted by Walter
Benjamin early in the twentieth century? Why should new technological
mutations drive the ways in which humanities scholars disseminate their
work? And is there a danger, we might ask, in letting technological
fetishism act as determiners of humanities scholarship? In this talk,
Professor Martin Paul Eve will address these matters, which are formative
elements of the terrain on which scholarship in the twenty-first century
will emerge.

Access details will be available on the ASIST Webinars site:
https://www.asist.org/events/webinars/