[Sigah-l] SJSU ASIS&T October Events

Jeremy McLaughlin jeremy.mclaughlin at sjsu.edu
Mon Oct 6 17:41:49 EDT 2014

The SJSU ASIS&T Student Chapter <http://ischoolgroups.sjsu.edu/asistsc/> is
hosting two guest speaker events this month, and we'd love to see you there!

Thanks,
   Jeremy L. McLaughlin

Chair, SJSU ASIS&T
2014-16 ASIS&T New Leader
*******************************
*Much Ado About Ebooks and DDA*
*WHEN**: Wednesday October 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM (PT)*

We're proud to present our first in a new series of invited speaker
presentations on technology trends in the library world.  This inaugural
event will feature Michael Levine-Clark from the University of Denver
discussing ebooks and demand driven acquisitions in academic libraries
including their impact on print and digital collection development
practices.

This event is being co-sponsored by the University of Denver ASIS&T Student
Chapter. <http://asistdu.wordpress.com/>

http://bit.ly/ZpYRpQ
<https://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit%2Ely%2FZpYRpQ&urlhash=FklR&_t=tracking_anet>

*Open Access Academia*
*WHEN: Thursday October 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM (PT)*

The ASIS&T Student Chapter is excited to welcome Mark Hahnel, PhD, the
Founder and CEO of figshare <http://www.figshare.com/>, to discuss open
access, open science, data sharing, and their impact on academia and on
research in general. Mark will speculate on the pros and cons of each of
these ideas and their disruptive business models, as well as highlighting
examples where the norm has already changed and what that means for the
future of scholarly work and academia.

http://bit.ly/YJYdTe
<https://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit%2Ely%2FYJYdTe&urlhash=qS0n&_t=tracking_anet>