[Sigah-l] Review of new DHCommons taxonomy

Perkins, Jody perkintj at miamioh.edu
Fri Sep 13 12:12:55 EDT 2013

Dear AH list members,

Please see the request for comments below.

Jody Perkins
Digital Scholarship Librarian
Center for Digital Scholarship
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
513.529.0135

------

DARIAH, DiRT, and DHCommons, as a first step in their international effort
to produce a registry of digital humanities resources (e.g., projects,
people, institutions, methods, tools, educational resources) has produced a
draft of a taxonomy of scholarly activities and objects that will act as
the back-end to this proposed registry.  This  taxonomy has been developed
for use by more than just our joint project, however, being developed for
use by any community-driven site or project that aims to make information
relevant to digital humanities more easily discoverable. The taxonomy is
expected to be particularly useful to endeavors aiming to collect
information on digital humanities tools, methods, projects, or readings.
The initial partners that have committed to adopting the taxonomy are
DARIAH’s Zotero-based bibliography, the DiRT (Digital Research Tools)
directory, and centerNet’s DHCommons project directory. DARIAH-EU has also
committed to using this taxonomy as a basis for further development into a
more complex ontology of digital scholarly methods, ensuring the continued
updating and existence of the work presented here.

In order to make this taxonomy as widely useful as possible, we hope to
collect broad input from the community.  To this end, we are asking you for
your input.  A draft of the taxonomy exists as a Google Doc here:
http://bit.ly/17UsWiU.  Anyone with this link can comment on the document.
Please leave comments in the document itself, or email the taxonomy
coordinators listed at the end of this email. Feedback will be open
until Friday, September 27th. After that point, the coordinators will
review and incorporate comments, with the goal of putting the taxonomy in
place on DiRT, DHCommons, and DARIAH’s Zotero bibliography in early October.

This already usable taxonomy will then be further developed into a
full-blown ontology by the NeDiMAH project in Europe and maintained beyond
that time by DARIAH.  We are not trying to produce the mother of all
ontologies.  Instead, we are trying to produce something that is useful,
that can be updated easily, and that will be maintained for many years.  If
you are interested in having your voice heard in this endeavor, please take
a few minutes to read through the document and give us your input.

On behalf of all the coordinators in this project, I would like to thank
you in advance for your input.  Feel free at any time to email any or all
of us with any questions you may have.

Best,

Matt Munson

Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
Göttingen Centre for Digital Humanities (GCDH)
Papendiek 16
37073 Göttingen
GERMANY
+49 (0)551-39-10 997